Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Thank You Brothers! Thank You Mother!


It had been a long time since I had gone on a Spirit Journey, and I had feared I had lost contact with the Spirit World. Earlier in the week, Brother Bat had made it clear I had drifted away, and that I would have to win my trust back. So, I lit my candles and asked my Spirit Warrior, Xeizer, if he might help me reach the entrance to my Spirit Cave. He agreed, and picked me up in his gigantic hand, carrying me as he strided through the jungle. Finally we reached the cave, and I felt Brother Bat, my power animal, flying around my head.

I greeted him, and he returned the greeting, glad to see me back. I told him I was sorry for my absence, and that I wished to re-learn what had been lost. He agreed, taking my through the cave and down into the lower tunnels. There greeted the other Spirit Animals. Bear was not to happy to see me, and Lizard was his usual dreamy self. I sat upon a rock, in front of a creek, and focused on my spirit body.

I noticed a strange blockage in my fourth tunnel of power, the one located in the middle of my chest. It was hard to breathe, and I asked Brother Bat for help in figuring out the problem. I peered inside, and saw a large elephant leaning against the tunnel walls, acting as if it was drunk. Almost immediately I seemed to sense just what it was: there had been an emotional "elephant in the room" I had been avoiding for a long time, and now it seemed it had come back to haunt me.

I explained to the elephant that the problem was being addressed, and that I accepted whatever outcome I was given. It seemed happy about this and promptly left, allowing the tunnel to shrink back to size. I asked Brother Bat to create stalagmites and stalactites within the tunnel to defend against intruders, and he agreed.

I had been sick for quite awhile, and since I already had had success, I decided to cure it through Shamanism. I asked Brother Bat to sweep through my body, snatching the flu virus like insects and devouring them. He agreed, and I instantly felt as if my inside had more space. I decided to continue and sought the Sun's help with my stuffy nose. Again, he was all to happy to comply, and I felt heat and light radiate from my spirit body, giving me a huge boost of energy, making me smile, and causing the snot in my stuffy nose to simply disappear. Finally I extended my spirit body into a long tail and traveled downward, towards the core of Mother Earth. I was in a hurry to draw power from here, and I accidentally began drawing power from the rocks just above the core. I felt my body become slower, and my insides felt as if there were becoming stronger, but slower.

I excused myself, thanking Rock for its help, but continuing to the core. mother Earth was happy to see me, and when I drew her power into me, it was as if my insides were somehow being repaired. I felt as if my skin was becoming stronger, my mind lighter, and my inner peace restored.

I returned to this world, offering thanks to all the spirits who had helped me feel whole again.

(About the picture, from National Geographic: A painting in Gua Tewet records a shaman's trek into the spirit world, Chazine says. The lizard in the center represents the shaman. The jagged line under the lizard-a sort of stairway-stands for the shaman's difficult path. The smooth lines on the right symbolize the successful completion of the journey, when the shaman attains an altered state of consciousness that affects all parts of his body and allows him to communicate with spirits. The hand stencils themselves evoke traditional healing rituals in which a shaman lays his hands on a sick person, then sprays medicine from his mouth onto the patient to cure him.)

No comments: